How did the maestro advise the young violinist?
There is a story of a young violinist who had an audition at Carnegie Hall. As she hurriedly exited the subway, she was momentarily disoriented. To her relief, she saw an old man with a violin under his arm and thought that surely he would know.
“Sir, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?” she asked.
“Practice,” he said, with a grin.
It’s the same way with Catholic spirituality–growing in faith is all about practice.
This collection by today’s most respected Catholic writers offers a compendium of these practices, traditional and contemporary, that can enable us to sustain and grow a vibrant spiritual life. This must-have volume will quickly become a trusted companion for an entire lifetime of engagement with the beauty and richness of the Catholic faith.Contents:
Catholic Spirituality in Practice / Colleen M. Griffith
Practices of Prayer
Practices of Care
- The Lord’s Prayer / N. T. Wright
- Praying with the Saints / Elizabeth A. Johnson, CSJ
- The Jesus Prayer / Joseph Wong, OSB, CAM
- Intercessory Prayer / Ann Ulanov and Barry Ulanov
- Centering Prayer / Joseph G. Sandman
- The Rosary/ Thomas H. Groome
- Liturgy of the Hours / Elizabeth Collier
- Praying with Images / Colleen M. Griffith
- Everyday Prayers / Compiled by Thomas H. Groome
Practices of Spiritual Growth
- Living the Sacramental Principle / Esther de Waal
- Practicing Hospitality / Ana María Pineda, RSM
- Practicing Forgiveness / Marjorie J. Thompson
- Family Life as Spiritual Practice / Wendy M. Wright
- Día de los Muertos / Alex Garcia-Rivera
- Practicing Care for the Environment / United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- The Ignatian Examen / Dennis Mamm, SJ
- Spiritual Direction / Kathleen Fischer
- Retreats / Anne Luther
- Lectio Divina / Sandra M. Schneiders, IHM
- Discernment / David Lonsdale
- Eucharistic Adoration / Brian E. Daley, SJ
- The Angelus / Thomas H. Groome
- Stations of the Cross / Thomas H. Groome
- Fasting / Joan Chittister, OSB
- Thanksgiving after Communion / Thomas H. Groome
- Spiritual Practice Goes Digital / Barbara Radtke
Conclusion: Keep on Practicing, You’ll Get Better at It / Thomas H. Groome
|Praying the Jesus Prayer (pack of 5)|
In the first of a new series of "little books", learn how to grasp the meaning of ancient ways of praying in a relatively short amount of time. This will leave you with the rest of your life to move beyond the reading and into the practicing!
Our Price: $22.46
|Seeking His Mind: 40 Meetings With Christ|
Here is another gem from the treasury of Basil Pennington's fertile and mature spiritual mind and heart.
Dr. Tilden Edwards
Our Price: $15.29
|The Little Book of Hours: Praying with the Community of Jesus - Revised Edition|
Learn to pray the Liturgy of the Hours in the Benedictine monastic tradition.
Our Price: $15.25
|Abba, Give Me A Word: The Path of Spiritual Direction|
"I challenge you to get through a chapter of this book without a desire for God being struck in your soul." - read more . . .
Our Price: $14.39
|The Chants of Angels|
Celebrate our heavenly guardians, guides and friends: the angels.
Our Price: $17.05
|The Chants of Mary|
Gloriæ Dei Cantores Men's Schola sings Gregorian chants of love and devotion from the Feasts of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Our Price: $17.05